Safety plays a vital role when using a crane for a project. Cranes are expensive machinery that requires skill and care to operate effectively, and should therefore be used with caution. Below is a checklist of 7 essential cranes hire safety tips to follow:
Crane Safety Checklist
- Adequate Training for Employees – Your staff must be properly trained when working with cranes. This gives operators the right information and skills, teaching them about system assessments, operational parameters, hand/radio signals, and height and system judgement for safe and effective crane usage.
- Lifting Operation Plan – Lifting operations should be carried out in a pre-planned manner to ensure that they are done safely and with due consideration for potential problems. The person in charge of the lifting operation must have both practical and theoretical understanding and expertise of the lifts being used.
A lifting plan should include the following components: resources required, risks identified by a risk assessment, and procedures and obligations to ensure that any lifting operation is done safely.
- Lifting Supervision – The lifting operation should be directed and supervised by the crane supervisor to guarantee it is done in accordance with the method statement. If anything appears dangerous, the crane supervisor must step in and stop it.
- Authorisation of Duty – Cranes should only be used by trained and experienced individuals who are authorised to handle the machines. Signal personnel are extremely beneficial in terms of safety because they can communicate whether or not the area is clean, as well as notify about any dangerous situations they detect. If any risks are reported, work can be halted until it is safe to resume.
- Prior Inspection – Before everyday activities, it is recommended to complete an extensive inspection of the construction plant and report any unusual findings. All wires and booms should be examined for any cracks and deformation during the inspection procedure, as well as any problems with bolts, controls, pins, signal lights, and outriggers. Prior assessment is important in determining potential hazards, and crane specialists can assist you with any repairs that are needed.
- Levelled Surfaces – For maximum safety and security, it is important to ensure that the surface for your crane operation is levelled as much as possible. Using cranes on uneven surfaces has the potential to cause injuries to employees and people nearby, and should thus be addressed to prevent any risks.
- Lifting Limits – Lifting limits should be set for the cranes in use, as different cranes are capable of lifting a different amount of weight. Operators must study the load chart for the cranes being operated, and not use them to lift any weight that is beyond its capacity.
Maxim Lifting Services Crane Hire in the UK
Are you looking for a crane hire in the UK?
Whether you are in need of a small scale lifting operation or full turnkey lifting project management, Maxim Lifting Services has specialists that can help you. We have a large variety of cranes available for hire and can cover everything you need to complete your lift safely.